The Dispute Resolution Center of West Michigan (DRCWM) is seeking part-time Restorative Practice Facilitators.
The DRCWM is a private, not-for-profit, community-based mediation agency based in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Our mission is to bring peaceful resolution to disagreements and conflicts; to foster respectful dialogue; and to promote peace with individuals, families, and communities through mediation and educational services.
The DRCWM is providing Restorative Practice (RP) facilitation services on-site at local elementary, middle and high schools. The RP facilitator brings together all parties affected by a conflict to discuss the incident and its effect on others. Sitting in a circle, participants work through three main points defined by the following questions:
- What happened?
- Who has been affected and how?
- What can we do to make things right?
Facilitators will be required to:
- Complete required training in restorative practices, circles and conferences.
- Explain RP to school staff, and accept referrals.
- Facilitate proactive and reactive circles as warranted.
- Complete a detailed assessment on all potential participants and secure the cooperation of others necessary to the process.
- Facilitate a restorative process in a timely fashion.
- Be a role model within the school environment.
- Be an advocate for the process.
- Document the cases details for data and grant purposes.
The ideal candidate will have RP circle/conference training and an educational or human services background; excellent communication and interpersonal skills; the ability to relate to students and school personnel; and the ability to efficiently run restorative circles and conferences. The facilitator must be able to maintain confidentiality, impartiality and not attempt to provide legal advocacy or therapeutic counseling. Must be able to work independently; must have strong organizational skills. Professionalism, confidentiality, and cultural sensitivity required. Local travel required.
This is a part-time, hourly position for approximately 12-20 hours per week. Hourly wages begin at $13.50 per hour.
To apply, please send a copy of your resume and cover letter ASAP to:
Christine P. Gilman, Executive Director
Dispute Resolution Center of West Michigan
678 Front Ave NW Ste 250
Grand Rapids MI 49504-5368
The DRCWM is an equal opportunity employer. Resumes will be accepted until the positions are filled.